Search This Blog

Followers

Pages

Sunday 7 April 2013

Notting Hill








On Saturday morning despite the ever present rain, Rob and Beth headed off for Notting Hill to explore its market.  During the week Notting Hill hosts a fruit and vegetable market, which on Saturdays expands to a flea market complete with antique stalls.  Rob was always interested in perusing markets of any kind, but Beth had ulterior motives for visiting Notting Hill.  Being lured to pop culture media, she sought out sites from the movie ‘Notting Hill’.

The Notting Hill market began in the 1860's and until recently it was an inexpensive place to live, work and shop.  However, popularity of this market increased as a result of the movie and on Saturdays the market is packed with tourist.  

After lunching at a trendy, all natural cafe they headed for the shops and stalls.  Many of the antique stores were crammed with trinkets, glassware, old clocks, metal works, and of course had the musty smell that usually accompanies such nostalgia shops.  The clothing stores boasted deals on cheap pyjamas, jackets, foot ware or T-shirts proclaiming allegiance to sports teams or declaring for all the world that the wearer was in England or Notting Hill in particular.  As they walked through the food section the oily smell of freshly cooked chips, deep-fried desserts, and falafels wafted through the air.  
 The neighbourhood

The market itself seemed typical but the rows of pastel houses lining the neighbouring streets were particular to Notting Hill.  They spent a glorious afternoon perusing the shops, walking the streets, and, of course, seeking out movie locations.


Hugh: Oh! Shit! Bugga! I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry. Here let me…

Julia: GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME!


Hugh: I’m really sorry, right! I live just over the street. I have um..water and soap. You can get cleaned up.

THE blue door
Julia: Thank you. I have to get my car back.

Hugh: I also have a phone. I’m confident that in five minutes I can have you spick and span and back on the streets again... In the non-prostitute sense obviously…

Julia: All right.  What do you mean just over the street. Give it to me in yards.

Hugh: Ahh. Eighteen yards. That’s my house over there with the blue front door.

(later on….)

Julia: That really is a real no, isn’t it?

Hugh: I live in Notting Hill.  You live in Beverly Hills. Everyone in the world knows who you are. My mother has trouble remembering my name.
Travel book shop... now shoe store

Julia: Fine…Fine. Good decision…Good decision… The fame thing isn’t really real, you know. Don’t forget, I’m also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

(Pause)

Bye.  (She kisses him then leaves closing the door.)



No comments:

Post a Comment